When you buy through our links, we may earn fees from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
Months of being locked down in our homes thanks to COVID-19 has left many of us wanting to redecorate, brighten up our spaces with art and indoor plants and generally change our home’s feng shui by adding and rearranging pieces. And there’s no doubt others are feeling the exact same way about their own living quarters.
So if you’re giving gifts this Christmas and holiday season, a thoughtful present for the home may be the way to go. This gift guide filled with ethical and eco-friendly homewares caters to a range of budgets so whether you need stocking fillers, a Kris Kringle/Secret Santa gift for work with a $20 limit or you’ve allocated a higher spend, we hope this curated list of conscious homeware and home decor gifts inspire your Christmas holiday giving.
Gifts $20 and under
- Urban & Eco Ikebana Kenzan sharp and weighted flower frogs for creative and distinctive floral arrangements. Instead of gifting as is, make sure to style with a flower design (like the picture below) for added effect. Price $8, available at Urban & Eco.
- Ritual & Fancy Glass Votive Vegan Candle 3oz, 100% soy wax from renewable source handcrafted in Portland, Oregon. 15 different scents including Apple Spice, Milk + Mahogany and Sandalwood Rose. Price $20.00, available at Made Trade.
- Uashmama Washable Paper Bags. Made from a sustainably-grown cultivated fibre and hand sewn in Tuscany by Italian seamstresses, this simple paper bag is an ideal storage solution for kitchen utensils, plants and more. Available in a variety of trendy colours and sizes, prices start A$12. Shop here.
- Spotted Quoll Natural Dry Flowers and Grasses. If you’ve found an ideal second-hand vase or ceramic to give as a gift and want to add a floral feature, why not add some naturally dried flowers and grasses? Ideal for interior styling and flower arrangements. Price A$12.50, view the full range at Spotted Quoll (Australia only).
- Urban & Eco 12cm Handmade Smoke Bud Vase. Has a matte finish and comes with hanging string. Price $15.00, available at Seagrass Design.
- Slash Objects Gem Recycled Rubber Coaster Set of 5, made in the USA from 100% post-consumer recycled rubber. Price $17.00, available at Made Trade.
- Japanese Style Ceramic Planters Handmade. Soil and succulent not included. Price A$8.30, available at Etsy.
Gifts $35 and under
- Hathorway Small Seagrass Tabletop Belly Basket. Natural materials sustainably sourced and artisans fairly paid. Price US$35.00, available at Made Trade.
- The Titty Committee Custom Boom Planter Pots. The perfect gift for feminist friends and family members, this handmade planter pot is custom made and takes a week to complete. Send them drawings or images in private should you wish it to closely resemble the recipient. Include identifying scars, moles, freckles, birthmarks, piercings, breast size etc for a truly personalised gift. Price A$30.00, available at Etsy.
- Made Salo Black Decorative Sculpture. Designed by the Made in-house team and produced under fair-trade conditions, this is the ideal piece to pop in your office, shelf, mantle or other spot for wow factor. Price £15.00 (US$21), available at Made.
- Azizi Life Round Table Woven Bowls, handcrafted using natural sisal fibres and forest grasses by fairly paid artisans. Price $31.00, available at Made Trade.
- Middle Kingdom Coral Hermit Bowl. Handcrafted glazed, Chinese porcelain bowls, available in 3 sizes. dishwasher safe. Price $26.00, available at Accompany.
- Ten Thousand Villages Unity Sculpture. Fairly made in Kenya, the unity sculpture’s two loops signify the union of two individuals. Price $24.99, available at Ten Thousand Villages.
- Gillawarra Arts A5 Artwork by Indigenous Artist Krystal Hurst. Unframed, printed on cotton rag paper, this piece ‘Bloodstream’ is inspired by the Saltwater River. As the Hurst explains, “Our river has sustained our people and animals for many generations. A place to camp, swim and fish. Our place.” Price A$30.00, available at Gillawarra Arts.
Gifts $75 and under
- Marime Studio Handcrafted Elevate Ceramic Dish in Terrazzo. Handmade in Perth, Australia each dish is handcrafted and glazed, an ideal gift for recipients who adore one-of-kind art-driven homewares. Price A$50, available at Gingerfinch.
- August Sage Ankole Horn Heirloom Tray. The Ankole horn used was sourced ethically as a by-product from domestic cows raised as food, and produced by fairly-paid artisans in Kampala, Uganda. Price $68, available at August Sage.
Disclosure: Details are correct at time of publishing. This curated list does not fully take into account all the ethical considerations that are unique to each individual. Before making a purchase, we encourage you to do your own research paying particular attention to the supply chain and your own particular set of ethics. Click here to read more about our policies. Cover image via Rose & Grey.