This podcast show is proudly sponsored by Treedom, a unique green business that allows customers to buy, gift and plant trees and track their growth in an online diary. Since its launch in 2010, Treedom has planted over 900,000 trees!
Sustainable lifestyle advocate, author and educator Jen Gale is a self-described “ordinary, knackered mum of two” whose sustainable lifestyle journey began when she led her young family into a year of buying nothing new and started documenting her daily insights in a blog. That year was her “wake up call” and changed not only what she buys, but also how she sees her place in the world.
Jen believes that by getting informed about the impact of your choices, and figuring out easy swaps and making lifestyle adjustments, you can make a big difference.
In her popular blog ‘Sustainable(ish)‘, right through to her numerous Facebook communities and even in her new book The Sustainable(ish) Living Guide, Jen Gale breaks sustainability down in practical, easy-to-do tangible ways that encourages people to take daily actions that suit them and fit in with their unique situation.
While saving the planet is now linked to climate marches and angry protestors, Jen reminds people that you don’t need to go on a climate strike or wait for politicians, governments and businesses to make changes; that you as an individual possess the power to create the changes you seek. The decisions you make each day, from the products you buy (or don’t buy), the companies you support, the food you eat, how you travel and even how you run your household can help to transform the world and create positive ripples within your family, circle of influence and wider community.
There’s so much to take away from our conversation and I hope that you put into motion the knowledge, information and lifestyle suggestions that you learn from Jen, to reduce your environmental impact and carbon footprint.
Peace, love & all that jazz,
If you loved this episode, make sure to tune in to our introductory episode where founding editor Jennifer Nini shares why she launched the podcast, provides a background and context to why she started EWP and what she hopes to achieve with the podcast. You can access that podcast show here.
Connect with Jen Gale
Discussion points and what you will learn in this episode
What you will learn:
- What propelled Jen Gale to pursue her sustainable lifestyle journey
- Why she believes that individual action is just as important as collective action, if not more so
- The challenges she faces as an eco-conscious mum raising two children
- Her advice for people starting their green lifestyle journeys
- Why a fashion fast can help you to slow your lifestyle down
- How she finds the time to live sustainably when there is pressure to do more and be more
- What the next steps are for Sustainable(ish)
…and so much more!
People and organisations mentioned
- Buy Nothing New Month
- Erin Rhoads aka The Rogue Ginger author of the books Waste Not: Make a Difference by Throwing Away Less and Waste Not Everyday
- The True Cost fast fashion documentary
- Lindsay Miles of Treading My Own Path blog and author of Less Stuff
Enjoyed this episode?
Feel free to share what resonated with you, your favourite quotes and key takeaways by leaving a comment below.
How can I support the podcast?
Share our podcast with your friends and family!
Subscribe & Review: iTunes or your favourite podcast platform.
Support our Partners: One of the best ways to support the podcast is to support our partners. For a complete list of all EWP partners, visit our Featured Partners page here.