Herridge Joins CBS News, saying “I feel privileged to join a team where facts and storytelling will always matter.”
CatherineW Herridge, Fox News’ chief intelligence correspondent and veteran of more than two decades at the network, has announced that she would be leaving Fox to join CBS News. In what can easily be read as a dig at her prior employer, CBS News’ announcement quotes Herridge as saying, “I feel privileged to join a team where facts and storytelling will always matter.”
In reaction to the news, Matt Gertz, senior fellow at Media Matters for America, a nonprofit media watchdog, explained:
“Fox News has routinely held up “straight news” reporters like Catherine Herridge as cover to suggest that the network is more than just a right-wing mouthpiece.
“To to the extent that there has been a battle of values between Fox’s “news” and “opinion” sides, it is clear who is winning: Fox’s “news” side has been routed and those who can are abandoning the field. The network belongs to Donald Trump and his loyal Fox propagandists.”
Just three weeks ago, longtime Fox anchor Shepard Smith stunned media observers and his colleagues by announcing his departure from the network where he had worked since its founding in 1996.
Carl Cameron, another early Fox hire, left his job as the network’s chief political correspondent in 2017, and he has since stated publicly that he did so because the network’s “right-wing hosts” had “drowned out straight journalism with partisan misinformation.” And Adam Housley and Conor Powell, both long-tenured Fox correspondents, quit last year, reportedly because they were dissatisfied with the network’s unabashed support of Trump.
For more information, visit mediamatters.org. Image by Ceci Freed/Media Matters.
- Climate Action Summit 2019: The Positive News That The Media Should Have Paid More Attention To
- New Study Finds Amazon Rainforest Fires Gets 93% Less Coverage on Cable News Than the Notre Dame Cathedral Fire
- Amazon Buys Whole Foods – What are the Retail Implications?
- Trump Hastens Climate Catastrophe by Slashing Endangered Species Act, Environmental Groups Sue?
- On Taking on Trolls and Climate Deniers: Be Brave, Just Don’t Be Stupid
- No Business Like Australian Election Business
- Individuals in the Developed World Consume More of the Earth’s Resources. Here’s How to Consume Less…