When you’re concerned about the environment, it can be difficult to justify buying more things at a time of Peak Stuff and climate change, but it can be just as difficult attending a birthday party, celebrating Christmas or a special occasion without bringing a gift(s)*can be totally awkward*.
This is why we’ve curated this list of eco-friendly and zero waste gift ideas, so you can go along with normal social conventions without looking like a weirdo or having to compromise your environmental and sustainability values.
Purchase single gift items, or buy several and make an eco-friendly gift bundle, whatever you decide, we hope the list below saves you time and inspires thoughtful and planet-friendly gift giving.
And don’t forget to share this page with your social networks and bookmark it for future reference. Here’s to conscious and sustainable living!
Gifts for Her
14. TOMS shoes
39. Adidas x Parley Eco-Friendly Runners (made from recycled plastic fibres)
44. “Every Woman’s Guide to Saving the Planet” by Natalie Isaacs, founder of 1 Million Women
- 48. Ethical lingerie
49. Low-tox perfumes
Brave Soles ‘The Avarca’ sandals
Gifts for Him
59. Reusable “Surf Socks” (zero waste way to get in and out of your wetsuit)
Gifts for Home
63. Guppyfriend Microfibre Laundry Bag (stops synthetic plastic fibres from clothing entering our oceans)
72. Cora Laundry Ball (to catch clothing microfibres in the washing machine)
74. “Zero Waste Home” book by Bea Johnson
76. The Swag food storage bags (keeps produce fresher for longer)
Gifts for Babies and Kids
Gifts for Cooks and Food Lovers
85. Eat Me Chutneys Mini Trio Gift Pack
87 .”Love Real Food” cookbook by Kathryne Taylor features more than 100 Feel-Good vegetarian dishes
88. “Minimalist Baker’s Everyday Cooking” cookbook by Dana Schultz features 101 Entirely Plant-based, Mostly Gluten-Free, Easy and Delicious Recipes
89. “The Oh She Glows Cookbook” by Angela Liddon includes over 100 vegan recipes
90. “World Vegetarian” cookbook by Madhur Jaffrey
91. “One-Dish Vegan” cookbook by Robin Robertson
Gifts for Pets and Pet Owners
96. Honest Pet Products Eco-friendly pet toys made from 100% all-natural, hemp fabrics and other sustainable materials
Gifts for Travellers and Outdoor Lovers
97. Samsonite ECO-NU luggage bags made from recycled materials
98. Vivobarefoot outdoor and adventure footwear, hiking and running shoes (makes vegan ones too)
100. Bamboocycles custom-made bicycles made of bamboo
101. Organic Dynamic Eco-Friendly Surfboards made of recycled polystyrene
- The Anti-Consumerist Guide to Christmas Gift Giving
- 15 Cruelty-Free and Vegan Xmas Gifts For Eco Beauty Lovers
- Zero Waste Christmas Gift Guide
- 3 Eco-Conscious Ways to Wrap Gifts This Christmas
- Affordable Eco-Friendly Christmas Gifts For The Entire Family (Under $50)
- 10 Affordable Eco-Friendly and Ethical Underwear Brands For Women and Men (USD $29 or Less)
Disclosure: The curated list is based on the writer’s research and does not fully take into account all ethical considerations that are unique to each individual. This list also contains affiliate links. Before making a purchase, we encourage you to do your own research paying particular attention to the supply chain and your own particular set of ethics. For more information on our policies, click here.
Title image credit Shutterstock.