When the lovely Nickie Hursthouse of fabulous food, health and lifestyle blog The Good Wolf Manifesto nominated me for the Liebster Award I was thrilled… and extremely confused. What exactly is a Liebster Award?
Reading Nickie’s post further and doing my own research (namely ‘Googling’ it) I discovered that whilst it isn’t a prestigious award that I can add to my LinkedIn CV, it’s significant on a personal level because it’s an award nominated by a blogger acknowledging other bloggers for their efforts in promoting their particular areas of interest. Upon learning this, I realised that Nickie had nominated me in recognition of my efforts in advocating ethical fashion and sustainable lifestyle to the masses. Thanks Nickie for the vote of confidence!
NICKIE & THE GOOD WOLF MANIFESTO
Before I discuss the Leibster Award further, I should give you some background on Nickie and her blog just so you get an idea of who she is and why we’re even connected.
I met Nickie last year at a dinner party held by some mutual friends (thanks Karoll and Nish for introducing us) and we hit it off. Nickie is a dietitian and nutritionist with a philosophy that resonates with me: “The key behind achieving a balanced diet that is sustainable during the ups and downs of life is developing both a healthy relationship with food, but more importantly a healthy relationship with yourself.”
Nickie’s passion in helping you find balance in all aspects of life means she begins with a focus on health and nutrition but aims to address a myriad of topics such as fad diets, social pressures, body image and fitness and how your choices affects your overall well-being. Her take on health, nutrition and lifestyle is one that I share so I encourage you to head over to The Good Wolf Manifesto and get helpful tips on how you can live a more optimal life. I’ve done so on many occasions.
LIEBSTER AWARD NOMINATIONS
Now back to the Liebster Awards.
After receiving the nomination a blogger has a choice to accept or decline it. If they accept it they then nominate other bloggers who they feel are helping to positively make a difference in their own areas of interest. Some bloggers decline the nomination because it just adds to their to-do list and they see it as ‘chain mail’. I’m obviously not one of those bloggers.
I’m accepting Nickie’s nomination because I believe in a thriving online community who encourage each other and help promote each other’s work. I also believe in ‘paying it forward’ because there can never be too much kindness in this world.
So here are the general rules for the Liebster Awards:
After receiving a nomination and accepting the award you must:
- Write a blog post and reveal 11 interesting facts about yourself
- In the same blog post answer the questions designated by the blogger who nominated you
- You must also nominate other new bloggers for the Liebster Award
- Give your nominees a list of questions they have to answer
That’s all there is to it. Now let the games begin!
11 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT ME
- I haven’t brushed my hair in 2.5 years because my hairbrush disappeared when I moved house and I decided combing my fingers through my hair would suffice.
- I was raised as Catholic, went to Catholic schools and attended Catholic bible study – but I wouldn’t call myself a Catholic and in fact don’t subscribe to any one organised religion. Instead I follow and always aim to practice the principles taught in most religions: love, kindness, forgiveness, humility, tolerance and compassion.
- I have never smoked a cigarette and have only dated one person who did; he is now my fiancé and thankfully he quit smoking years ago.
- Political discussions are always welcome at the dinner table. I’d much rather discuss politics than what an obscure ‘reality’ TV personality is doing, saying or wearing.
- I started playing soccer (football) when I was 11 years old. I played as a mid-fielder and did so throughout high school and as a young woman.
- My partner and I lived in a tent for 4 months – and then went on to live in a tin shed for 2 years. We lived off-the-grid which meant the shed was 100% powered by solar energy. We bought our farm last year and continue to live sustainably in a home completely powered by the sun.
- I named my first pet cat ‘Gandalf’ because his fur was white – and I am a massive Lord of the Rings fan.
- At the age of 14, I was approached by a modelling agent. I wasn’t interested in ‘glamour modelling’ so I turned down the offer – to my mum’s disbelief. She thought I would regret the decision as I got older. I never have.
- I dislike wearing bras and avoid wearing them whenever practicable.
- I was a radio announcer for the SBS Filipino youth radio national broadcast for about a year and a half – despite not being able to string any real sentences together in my native language.
- Although I am often described as ‘sporty’ I am a hopeless swimmer. When I worked for a global finance company two male colleagues signed me on as part of their corporate triathlon team without my knowledge as they suspected I wouldn’t decline a fitness challenge. They were right, I couldn’t say no. I successfully completed the BRW corporate triathlon and survived the swim leg by relying on the only stroke I can do confidently: backstroke!
NICKIE’S QUESTIONS & MY RESPONSES
1. What is your travel destination for 2015?
I’m hoping to see the Great Barrier Reef this year now that I’ve moved to Queensland (Australia).
2. What gets you out of bed every morning?
Knowing that I get another chance to create something new and use my skills to make a sustainable difference – business planning and research for our permaculture farm and organic food venture, flower and veggie gardening, cooking, experimenting with raw food recipes, writing and social networking with other like-minded individuals.
3. Who are the top 5 people you would invite for dinner (whether they are still alive or not)?
Audrey Hepburn – my style icon and role model, I would ask her about her life including her childhood experience of war, what she thinks of fast fashion and discuss her UNICEF ambassador work.
David Suzuki – an inspiration to all environmentalists including myself, I’d love to hear his opinions on sustainable business and environmental policy and the advice he would give our world leaders on how to lead us to a more a sustainable future
Oprah Winfrey – a woman I’ve admired for many years, I’d love to hear her story firsthand and listen to any advice that she could impart about business and how she got to where she is today
Charles Dickens – one of my favourite novelists, I’d discuss his life as a writer, where he got his inspiration from, how he managed to stay focussed and ask him to share his writing tips
Mahatma Gandhi – I’d love to learn where he found the courage to lead his country through nonviolent civil disobedience in the face of imprisonment and how he managed to stay centred and peaceful despite adversity
4. What is your favourite book?
This is a tough question indeed as I’ve read and enjoyed so many books – from all different genres and it depends on how I’m feeling. Today I’ll choose ‘Angela’s Ashes’ by Frank McCourt. It’s a poignant memoir of growing up in Ireland and moving to New York City. It is written in the eyes of an innocent child in a way that is humorous, hopeful and uplifting – despite the struggles he and his family endured during famine and extreme poverty. I highly recommend it.
5. What is a secret talent of yours?
Event styling. I enjoy the creative process and being able to see my designs come to life by transforming a regular space into something that is beautiful and fit for an event celebration.
6. Summer or winter?
Summer. I enjoy days at the beach, wearing loose flowy summer dresses, raw summer salads and sipping refreshing drinks at sunset.
7. Sweet or savoury?
Savoury. Give me cheese, antipasto, kale chips, crackers and dip any day.
8. What do you think of when you think of The Good Wolf Manifesto?
Good food, good health and good vibes. The words that come to mind: balance, well-being, practical advice, recipe ideas and passion for life!
9. What is your favourite quote?
I have many but the one that still resonates with me is “Be the change you wish to see in the world” by Mahatma Gandhi. It’s a good motto to live by as it makes each individual accountable for transforming this world.
10. What is your best dinner party recipe?
Tough question! Honestly depends on the guests! Keeping it vegetarian (and one that both vegetarian and non-vegetarians enjoy), I’d have to say my vegetarian spring rolls with beans, carrots, bamboo shoots, potato, Chinese cabbage, onion and garlic and a touch of soy sauce accompanied by a a sesame seed dipping sauce featuring garlic, soy sauce, sesame seeds, chilli, spring onion, white wine and sesame oil with optional brown sugar.
My Liebster Award Blogger Nominations
I nominate the following bloggers:
Here are my questions for you:
- Why did you start blogging?
- What is your favourite item of clothing and why?
- What is your biggest pet peeve/pet hate?
- What did you want to be when you were a child?
- What is your favourite TV series?
- Who was your celebrity crush as a teenager?
- If you were on death row and the Warden asked you what you wanted as your final meal, what would it be and why?
- Bag or shoes?
- If you were granted one wish, what would you wish for?
- What 3 words would you use to describe Eco Warrior Princess?
Thanks again Nickie for the nomination and for helping to inspire people towards a positive and balanced life through your blog and the work that you do.
To the lovely ladies I’ve nominated, I really hope you pay it forward as I’m excited to read your responses and get to know you all a bit better.
To my loyal readers, I hope you enjoyed getting to know me and look forward to hearing your thoughts on my revelations xx